Friday 25 January 2013

Hybrid



I have a friend who likes to categorize people by animal/colour/personality/favourite thing they associate with/favourite texture/favourite word etc.*

I can clearly remember an early conversation we had at the beginning our friendship. She asked me if I was an animal, which one would I be? Now, I'm a big fan of these types of questions. These seemingly trivial -- if not downright bizarre -- questions I believe give the most honest insights about ourselves.

For someone who contemplates these types of questions often (super power: flying; I'd be Hillary Clinton for one day; my last meal would be a slice of home-made strawberry shortcake), I immediately answered hummingbird.

Now there's a lot to say about hummingbirds. They're flighty, and hectic but they're also graceful and sociable. When I'm in my element, like when I get really excited about something, I'm 100% hummingbird.

But lately (and this is a result of trying to find a balance between work/school/social life/quiet life) I've been seeing myself as more of a llama. Llamas are docile and observant. They aren't flighty. They enjoy life.



As a PR professional heading into the field, I think these characteristics are important to defining myself.

I'd like to think of myself then as a hummingbird-llama hybrid if you will. I'm sociable and flighty and excited when I need to be, and docile, adaptive, and comfortable too.

And although most of time I feel like I'm still in my teenage years trying to figure out who I am, I know that I would rather be a flying Hillary Clinton who loves strawberry shortcake. And I'm cool with that.

*You can find her blog here

1 comment:

  1. I like categorizing people too - through True Colours - but I think your hummingbird/llama combo goes to show humans are full of layers, complexity and contradictions. And that's what makes them so interesting!

    ReplyDelete